The York School offers a world-class IB education and like all top-tier independent schools we rely on donations to be truly competitive and enable our students and faculty to meet their full potential. While tuition and fees cover our basic operating costs, donations are critical to the program enhancements that make The York School really shine.
Each priority area is directly linked to our strategic plan in order to support the mission, vision and values of The York School community.
The York School Fund is our annual giving program that helps York students shine brighter.
Our goal is 100% participation. With your help, The York School Fund will support the following projects, and more, this year:
Dream Big: Head’s Initiative
The Head’s Initiative (or area of greatest need) allows our Head of School and Leadership Team to “dream big” for The York School. Your gift will support projects deemed high priority for the advancement of the school’s strategic goals. Examples include:
- In-classroom document cameras to allow for synchronous learning
- COVID-19 return to school preparation with purchase of PPE equipment, York School branded masks, Hand Sanitizing Stations, and Plexiglass partition to keep Students and Faculty safe
Student Wellness is at the core of our objectives to support the whole student. The York School strives to build programs that promote healthy minds. Your donations play a key role in successful development of these programs and have recently funded:
- Student, Faculty and Staff funded professional mental health and wellness speakers and programs
- The creation of a new Student Wellness space within the 1320 building - now, more important than ever - to support the mental health of our student community
- Diversity awareness training for Faculty and Staff
- Help us realize a new Wellness Centre!
Donations enhance our Science, Technology, Engineering and Math programs by supporting students as they explore these interconnected disciplines. Your support helps our students enhance their understanding and experience practical examples of the STEM field as they explore the natural world. Recent donor-funded purchases that facilitate this learning include:
- 1 to 1 laptop program to support students while learning from home
- Equipment for chemistry and biology in the Middle and Senior School
Our Art programs support the development of the whole student, fostering engagement with creative outlets such as music, drama, media and visual art. Your donations have elevated the student experience in these disciplines in a myriad of ways, including:
- Supporting the Middle School Play, Charlie and Chocolate Factory, set design and decor
- Designing and building customized art tables and display boards for the Junior School
The York School prides itself on pushing boundaries by facilitating learning opportunities outside of traditional classrooms for our students. We strive to provide alternative formats in which to learn and hands-on experiences to bring theory into practice. Donations have impacted this priority area by:
- Offsetting the cost of student travel for international debating tournaments, music performances and Service Learning initiatives where students volunteer their time in rural India
- Funding a Diploma Programme retreat for Grade 11 students, fostering a deepened sense of community and confidence for this cohort prior to taking on their new academic challenge
The Junior School
Annual donations have enhanced the experience for our JK to Grade 5 students as it pertains to the IB Primary Years Programme, supporting the holistic student experience central to the culture and philosophy at the Junior School. Last year, your donations enabled us to:
- MathUP program for Grades 1 - 5 - supporting Math Resources for our teachers to bring a love for numbers into the Junior School
- Emotion Management - a “Pause Station” has been created in each Junior School Classroom to help our Junior School Students to further develop their ability to self-regulate and manage emotions
- Fund visits by prominent children’s authors to engage with students and inspire a love for reading
- The Junior School community is invited to participate in helping realize a new and innovative outdoor play and learning space