The York School offers a world-class IB education and like all top-tier independent schools we rely on donations to be truly competitive and enable our students and faculty to meet their full potential. While tuition and fees cover our basic operating costs, donations are critical to the program enhancements that make The York School really shine.
Each priority area is directly linked to our strategic plan in order to support the mission, vision and values of The York School community.
The York School Fund is our annual giving program that helps York students shine brighter.
Our goal is 100% participation. With your help, The York School Fund will support the following projects, and more, this year:
The Head’s Initiative (or area of greatest need) allows our Head of School and Leadership Team to “dream big” for The York School. Your gift will support projects deemed high priority for the advancement of the school’s strategic goals. This could include long-term projects or exciting opportunities for our students as they happen, for example:
- The renovations that upgraded our Junior, Middle and Senior School facilities to the modern, multi-purpose learning environments our students enjoy today.
The Junior School
Annual donations have enhanced the experience for our JK to Grade 5 students as it pertains to the IB Primary Years Programme, supporting the holistic student experience central to the culture and philosophy at the Junior School. Last year, your donations enabled us to:
Athletics and Wellness
- Provide innovative custom furniture for our kindergarten classes and alternative seating for Grades 1-5 conducive to a variety of learning styles
- Fund visits by prominent children’s authors to engage with our students and inspire a love for reading.
Athletics & Wellness are at the core of our objective to support the whole student. The York School strives to build programs that promote healthy minds and bodies. Your donations play a key role in the successful development of these programs and have recently funded:
- The purchase of new, state-of-the-art equipment for the fitness centre in the Middle and Senior School
- Recruitment of professional coaches to help our student-athletes reach elite levels
- Student, faculty and staff funded professional mental health and wellness speakers
Donations enhance our Science, Technology, Engineering and Math programs by supporting students as they explore these interconnected disciplines. Your support helps our students enhance their understanding and experience practical examples of the STEM field as they explore the natural world. Recent donor-funded purchases that facilitate this learning include:
- Equipment for chemistry and biology in the Middle and Senior School
- A set of five Misty 2 Robots which allows Middle School and Senior School students to build and program higher-end robotics and AI applications
- iPads that connect with weather monitoring equipment to deepen student exploration and understanding of the environment
Our Art programs support the development of the whole student, fostering engagement with creative outlets such as music, drama, media and visual art. Your donations have elevated the student experience in these disciplines in a myriad of ways, including:
- New Musical Instrument Digital Interface-Lab (MIDI) for the music students
- Designing and building customized art tables and display boards for the Junior School
- The purchase of a new camera and lighting equipment for our film students