Senior School Student Leadership Coordinator
The York School is a co-educational independent day school renowned for its challenging academic International Baccalaureate (IB) programme and commitment to experiential learning – extending all over Toronto, Canada and the world. Our highly trained faculty receive support and training to be leading professionals in their fields and in the IB Curriculum, using cutting-edge classroom technology.
What sets us apart from other schools is that our tradition is innovation. We welcome applicants who are like us – dynamic and innovative, collaborative, progressive and global-minded. The York School offers an inclusive culture and values creativity, individuality and new ideas.
Reporting to the Director of Citizenship, the Senior School Student Leadership Coordinator is responsible for working with the Director to develop the citizenship portfolio for Grades 9-12, including student leadership, house challenges, and for executing and overseeing community building events. The Coordinator would be expected to work closely with teachers and students in the running of the program. Engaged Citizenship at York encourages students to attend to the common good and play an active role in the life of the school, their local community and beyond. Students are encouraged to find their voices, develop a sense of social responsibility and to embrace their leadership potential. The position may include some teaching responsibilities.
Responsibilities: Student Leadership:
- Collaborate with the Director of Citizenship to deliver the vision for student leadership and continue to develop innovative programmes to help realize that vision
- Oversee the Senior School Student Council, organizing and attending weekly meetings, collaborating with students to set meeting agendas and working to ensure the smooth running of events & programming
- Seek out leadership conferences and other opportunities for student leadership development and arrange for the involvement of deserving students.
- Chaperone or run existing internal & external leadership programmes such as, The Leadership Institute, the Student Council Fall Retreat & the CIS Student Leadership Symposium & Leadership Conference
- Organize and run the Senior School election process for Student Directors, House Heads & Grade Leaders in the Spring including assisting with the interview and selection process
Student Life & School House System:
- Oversee and manage the Student Council’s development of House Challenges and other spirit or social events and programmes, including:
- Spirit Weeks
- Halloween Events
- School Dances
- House Challenges
- Support York Parent Association (YPA) Events - Exam Snacks, YPA BBQ End of Year Lunch
- Oversee the running of the House System, including the mentorship of Student House Heads as they plan, organize, execute House Meetings/ Challenges
- Track House points and spirit points to document student engagement
Check out our House System: https://www.yorkschool.com/about-us/our-house-system
Events & Administrative Planning:
- Update weekly internal school loops (screens) to celebrate Student Council initiatives and publicize upcoming events
- Plan and organize divisional community building excursions and events
- Work with outside agencies and classroom teachers as appropriate, to build partnerships
- Support student initiated service learning campaigns and CAS projects
- Assist the Director of Citizenship with the planning of assemblies and other student events that involve House Council and/or Student Council members
- Assign teachers for supervision, ensure that safety rules & regulations are followed, oversee student events & participation
- Collaborate with Admission Operations Manager to coordinate student ambassadors and/or speakers for Admission events - Open House, New Family Orientation Night
Qualifications and Skills Required:
- Ontario Teaching Certificate
- A minimum of 2 years teaching experience, preferably in an IB World School
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Experience and expertise working in a technology-enhanced learning environment
- Passionate and enthusiastic teacher
- Highly motivated and energetic
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Positive and collaborative team member
- Flexible and adaptable to an ever-changing environment
- Ability to effectively plan, develop and execute student programming and events
- Strong leadership and effective teamwork skills
- Commitment to full participation in the life of the school
- Excellent time management and organizational skills, with the ability to work well under pressure and be flexible
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
Join Our Community:
Like our students, Teachers and Staff at The York School are inquiring, knowledgeable, caring and engaged citizens of the world. Leaders in their field, they are collaborative, open to change and committed to improving lives through education. We are committed to professional development, and provide a competitive compensation and benefit package to our employees.
Accessibility & Equal Opportunity at The York School:
At The York School, our mission is to develop inquiring, knowledgeable and caring young people who are engaged citizens of the world. As such, we are an equal opportunity employer and encourage all qualified candidates to apply. Upon request, we will accommodate individual needs for applicants with disabilities within our recruitment process.
How to Apply:
Please submit your resume and cover letter in one PDF document to the email firstname.lastname@example.org by August 20th , 2019. Please make sure to quote the Job Title in the subject line.
We thank all candidates for their applications; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.